So I figure I should pen these before I go to bed although its technically been new years for 12 hours already (start as you mean to continue eh?? :)).
I make resolutions every year and like most usually forget them two weeks later. They are often more of the same things every year (weight, money, goals etc). So this year I wanted to give myself some small manageable goals and some more broad things to aspire too.
2015 was an epic year which started better than it ended but that is also just a matter of my perspective. In january I was returning home to New York, to my apartment in the upper east side where I worked for a huge prestigious hospital. All year long I had trips home to see my loved ones and many friends came to visit! After a summer of fun and adventures in the big city I moved home to start medicine, my lifelong goal and dream.
While I love my course and the experiences I am having, I didn’t keep much perspective or work/life balance in the last 6 months (or in life in general) so a big emphasis of my resolutions is on gaining back some of the chances I put to one side in the last few years. To make a better, happier, healthier, stronger person one day at a time.
- Make my life more “momentous”: I think about the big picture too much. Where I will be in ten years, what I plan and don’t plan etc. I want to consciously focus more on enjoying the individual small moments that make up everyday and make up the best memories. By focusing on small enjoyable moments everyday it can lead me onto my other resolutions.
- Be more positive: I naturally tend towards the negative and this year more than ever I want to focus on all the good. Im very lucky and very loved and the end of 2015 has shown me this more than ever. I have lived a thousand lifetimes in my 29 years and its time to see the good instead of the small faults. It wot be an easy task, probably one of the hardest as it involves changing my own views but it is something I need to work on.
- Live day-to-day: I am a planner and that can feed into negative thoughts as plans can take time to come to fruition and can feel like a failure before success. So a new focus this year will be to treat each day like a new separate entity. If its a good day then it is a special moment and if it is a bad time then I only have to think of that moment in time and not worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow is a different day.
- Fall in love with a person, a place and a thing: I want this year to be full of love. I want to let myself love someone new, whether its a new relationship or just new friendships that let me grow. I want to travel and fall in love with a new city. And I want to fall in love with a new skill, hobby or activity. It is time to get back out into the world and stop just working all the time.
Seven smaller goals for the year:
- Do 30 mins yoga everyday, morning or evening, just to feel good
- Visit three new places in the world and remember the joy of discovering the world
- Read more even if its just on public transport and even if it is crime drama (just for the love of it :))
- Do regular exercise everyday to manage my moods. Culminating in the half marathon in September. I joined the running club in work and I need to go now 🙂
- Get more shadowing experience in my field because so far those experiences have been incredible and invaluable.
- Take up kickboxing cause I have said I wanted to for a long time
- Write and blog more obviously 🙂